Learn what Cash Balance is and how to use it
What is Cash Balance for?
- Track the cash in various trading platforms/accounts without having to log in to them one by one.
It tracks the amount of cash you currently have on hand after you buy or sell stocks, receive dividends (automatically added), or deposit or withdraw funds from your trading account.
This assumes that if you create multiple portfolios in StocksCafe, each portfolio will correspond to a single trading account (per currency).
- Keep a historical record of all cash transactions
- Turn on Cash Balance: On this page, check Cash Balance
Recommended: Also check Auto Sync Cash Balance Dividend so that whenever you add/remove/update your portfolio transaction, processes will automatically run in the background (once a day at midnight Singapore time) to ensure that the DIVIDEND transactions are still correct.
- Enter the amount of cash you presently have in that account into your portfolio.
- Whenever you add a new portfolio transaction, there is a “Add to Cash Transactions” option. Ensure the box is checked and the new balance will be automatically updated for you.
Note: For all stocks that you hold (including those before you activated Cash Balance), dividends are automatically added to your balance on the pay date.
If for any reason you want to reset dividend transactions (e.g. you edited or deleted some), navigate to this page and click on Sync Cash Balance Dividend.
What “Sync Cash Balance Dividend” does is that it will re-populate/sync (i.e. delete all and add again) dividend transactions to Cash Balance based on your transactions history.
Note: It will not delete or adjust any cash transactions that you have manually entered.
A difference of a few cents is unavoidable as the difference might come about due to interest, or rounding of decimal places. To handle this, you can add a cash transaction with the difference so that the Cash Balance reflects the amount identical to the that of the trading account.
With cash added to the current portfolio, we can understand how our cash influences our risk, returns, and other metrics. It will affect various computations in pages related to current portfolio (e.g. portfolio overview page, portfolio performance page, etc), but it will not affect the portfolio report page.
- Ensure Cash Balance is activated
- On this page, check the “Add Cash to Portfolio” box